Monday, March 22, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Mary Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.
 
 How can you not get pumped about spring when seed packets are half off??  I'm trying not to get too overly-excited though as planting is still 4-5 weeks away.  So many things to consider...where to plant what this year (being careful about crop rotation and such.)  Also still trying to decide the best way to tie up the green beans this year-as you usually have to construct the lattice or towers as you plant the seeds so you do not disrupt the roots.  I have laid awake debating different structure types and materials and the costs of everything.  I know, only I would lay awake thinking of how to tie up the beans.  Last year it wasn't an issue as I did bush type beans but they were such a pain to pick that this year I went with climbers.

I'm also debating mulch in the garden, I have read so many pros and cons to this and still the jury is out.  Some experts say it helps with soil moisture level and weeds of course but I have also heard it can stunt the growth of some plants.  Also then when you till the garden over the next year if the mulch is too big it can get caught in the tiller and cause nitrogen issues as well.

So while I consider all of the above you can feast your eyes on last July's gardening bliss...


 

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Great pics! Can't wait to see the garden grow.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, this is great! I love blogs and yours will be fantastic to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote about starting my garden. Seeing your pictures makes me think it will be worht it.

    William
    www.poopandboogies.com

    ReplyDelete