Friday, July 2, 2010

Seafood Wrapped in Pig Meat...


What could be better right?  Seafood, in this case shrimp, wrapped up in a pocket of tasty bacon!  This recipe is a fairly quick and easy one based loosely on a tasty dish from Pappasito's Mexican Cantina called Shrimp Brochette.  I made this one up myself and have tinkered with it a bit until I came up with the easiest way possible to make this dish.  You only need 4 basic ingredients:

Shrimp, (the bigger the better, peeled, deveined and I even removed the tails.)  Actually I bought them peeled and deveined and only removed the tails myself ;)  Some cream cheese, either the tub kind or regular block kind softened slightly.  Some jalapeno pepper (fresh, seeded, sliced into strips) and bacon, I prefer regular as opposed to thick cut. (You cut each strip in half.)

So this is easy peasy-Cut into shrimp in the same area where they are deveined a little deeper but not all the way through.  Add some cream cheese and a slice of pepper...

Wrap shrimp in bacon.  Now from this point there are a couple of ways you can continue.  The first time I tried this I skewered them and cooked them on the grill but honestly they were a little hard to skewer without the insides squirting out and they flamed up a good bit on the grill.  Next try was on a broiler pan with a toothpick stuck in each one.  But this time I just wrapped them up and laid them on the broiler pan like so...

Fire up the broiler on your oven, pop these puppies in for 5 mins, pull them out, flip them each over with some tongs and pop them in for 5 more minutes.  You end up with something that looks a bit like this...

Ok granted they aren't beautiful for company.  But they taste GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment