Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First Fruits!

Ok well not fruits more like veggies-but look!!  My first pickins' are in!
I looked at last year's pictures and realized I picked squash, cucumbers and peppers this same week last year.  But I planted almost 3 weeks later this year so while I have been thinking things sure are growing quickly-they really are!  The lack of rain is worry-some, but I have been watering every couple of days by hand.  It takes some time but I get much more accurate watering on specific plants if I just walk around with the hose for 45 mins.
A few updates on other garden-y things...these were my tomatoes this same week last year...
These are my 2011 tomatoes this same week...
Holy Giant Tomato Plants Batman!
I think the squash have vine borers again.  That's frustrating.  Walter Reeves the garden expert says there isn't much you can do to stop them, other than plant early and hope you are sick of squash by the time they kill your plants (sort of funny huh?)  The cucumbers are growing up their cages perfectly...
The yellow squash and zucchini not so much, but my intent was to sort of tie them to the cages to encourage them to grow up and to tell you the truth I really haven't had the time and I also haven't wanted to work out there with all of these 90+ degree days...maybe this weekend I'll rope them up...
I should have peppers and okra soon...
Even though it has been decimated by flea beetles the eggplant are even coming along.
I leave you with a parting shot of green bean alley...

May you all dream of squash casserole for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment