Thursday, June 30, 2011

Long Hot Days of Summer

Is it me or are summers getting hotter?  I'm not sure I buy into this whole Global Warming thing or anything but to me it's just dang hot this summer so far.  In fact it reminds me to pull out my favorite comic of all time...


 Sorry the scan is a little wonky, but I love the scene!

The garden likes it hot but it also likes rain, which we haven't had much of lately.  I'm having to water a couple of times a week which gets tougher as things get taller.  Speaking of taller-we had to rig up some extra supports for the tomatoes which are now taller than I am.
More things that are "tall" include the cages for the cucumbers which is working out really well.  Only real issue is if I let them get too big I have a hard time getting them back through the small holes in the cage, but has only been a problem once so far.
The squash up the cages just didn't work very well in general.  I do like the cages though and probably will use them next year for cucumbers and also maybe eggplant and peppers.  Planting around the cages gives the plants more support instead of having to tie each pepper up with a stick or rod (which was sort of annoying a couple of weeks ago.)  The squash as usual started off like gangbusters and I was giving away squash and zucchini until a couple of days ago...then it happened again...just like last year...Squash Vine Borer.
You have this beautiful squash plant and the next day...dead.  Vine blow out.  A small insect lays eggs inside the stem at some point and when they hatch and bust out, it kills your plant in one fell swoop.  Still debating re-planting at this point.  I tried last year without much success.
In other garden-y areas I have the cutest baby watermelons...(note garden hose for size comparison.)
Oddly the green beans still aren't producing beans.  As you can see the vines are HUGE and nice and green but not a sign of a single bean.

I do have quite a few lima beans coming as well as pink eyed peas...
All in all everything is doing fairly well, there are hits and misses as usual.  Leslie isn't complaining about not having any green beans yet ;)  Okra is about to really starting kicking into gear and I'm drowning in tomatoes (which is a good thing.)
Well enough typing, it's time to go out and do some picking!

3 comments:

  1. Janet everything looks wonderful! We have no luck with squash (zucchini) at all. The same thing happens every year. It must be hiding in the soil just waiting for us to plant the squash. It always looks great one day and is totally gone the next.
    We have been getting a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers are coming out of our ears. I've been giving them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the cartoon! You're garden looks fabulous - great job keeping it going even though the green beans are being temperamental, I'm sure they'll show up eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cartoon is hysterical Janet! And I think you are right, summers are hot and sometimes feel like they are getting hotter. I am truly glad that I live on the Coast. It helps. I am loving the garden shots and have never seen "blow out" before! That is crazy. Well your harvest is looking amazing. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete